So far, I have only gained 10 pounds, which is largely due to the fact that I don't like food anymore. On one hand, I'm lucky. After about 20 weeks or so, everything I've put in my belly has managed to stay down (another contrast in this pregnancy compared to when I was carrying Arwen.) The challenge now is just to get food into my mouth, chew and swallow. I seem to have an aversion to everything that can be put onto a plate. Except one thing: a cold deli turkey sandwich. This would not be such a bad thing if it weren't for the fact that cold deli meat is a forbidden indulgence during pregnancy. The fear is that cold deli meats can harbor a bacteria called Listeria. Catching Listeriosis is very unlikely, but the potential consequences of being infected are very scary and include stillbirth.
I think every pregnant woman is allowed at least one random, needless freak out during pregnancy. So far, my only one has been over cold deli turkey. I ordered a spinach and turkey salad at a restaurant a few weeks ago. When the salad came out, it was topped with cold deli meat - something I was not expecting. Fearing that I would be late for work, I did not request they re-make the order using heated meat. Instead I pushed the meat to the side and ate the salad anyway. During the drive back to the office, the pregnancy hormones took over. My mind could not drop the fact that the the cold turkey TOUCHED the spinach that I ate. It took this thread at mothering.com to talk me down.
Listeriosis from soft serve? Seriously? How many pregnant women give up soft serve?! I have eaten more soft serve ice cream during this pregnancy than I have eaten during the previous two years of my life combined. And what about those women in Asia eating sushi? I couldn't find any hard references backing up the claims that Listeriosis is no more common in Japan than in the U.S. despite sushi consumption, but if it is true, it challenges the forbidden fruit status of cold deli meat in the U.S. I've made it this far without eating cold deli meats so I will continue to abstain (grumble, grumble), but I haven't stressed any more about cold meat that touched my spinach.
I have my order ready for baby boys birthday: I want a cold turkey sandwich with spinach and Swiss cheese on wheat bread and fruit instead of chips from Jason's Deli. Mmm...
It's funny, isn't it? In early pregnancy, I freaked out over some crumbled blue cheese that they left on my salad at the Village Grill, when I specifically asked them not to even put it on there. But, in contrast, I haven't been willing to give up sushi at all. lol I have had sushi at least 3-4 times a month, if not more. (I had it twice last week!) It's my comfort food, and I just couldn't give it up. =) But, seriously, I've been such a picky eater due to the hyperemesis that lasted until 26-27 weeks, that anything I could stand to think about eating, I would. So, sushi, fresh fruit, and veggies have been a mainstay. Hope you're doing well!
ReplyDeleteThanks for stopping by. I hear you on fresh fruit. I think 50% of this baby is made of strawberries! I saw your FB post. Glad everything is under control. Take care!
ReplyDelete