Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Relief

My OB has required that I now come for appointments two times a week since I am past my EDD. At one appointment each week I have a non-stress test and an exam. At the other appointment that week I have an ultrasound and an exam. Today was my first appointment with the new twice a week routine. I was surprised at how detailed the OB was with the visit. We started with an ultrasound. Amongst other things,the technician checked the level of amniotic fluid. It was good. Baby's size and heart rate - good and good. Next was my exam with the OB. Blood pressure, blood sugar, weight gain, fundal height - all good.

In my last update, I mentioned my anxiety about my two different EDDs and my concern that my OB would push the earlier (ultrasound based) EDD over my later (chart/pregnancy wheel determined) EDD. At my appointment on Friday, we touched on the subjected and I perceived that it had gone poorly. Over the weekend I became fairly stressed about the situation. Then, I started feeling stressed that my stress would make my labor hold off until all the later!

This weekend, I decided that I would leave things alone and not discuss the issue with my OB until another week had passed. However, during today's thorough examination, one conversation lead to another and I expressed my concerns about my two EDDs earlier than I had planned. I had already explained the previous Friday how I was certain of my dates and thought she had disregarded that information. Much to my surprise, after she meticulously combed through my chart and reviewed the ultrasound data (which showed me to be at 39 weeks, 5 days) she agreed to honor my later due date! I felt like 100 pounds had been lifted off my shoulders!

I don't know if Ina May is right or not. Perhaps stress in an expectant mother can hold of labor. If that is the case, today I am in a much better place to go into labor than I was this time last week. I feel so much more at peace.

1 comment:

  1. I'm praying for a healthy, safe and smooth delivery. I hope he comes soon :)

    ReplyDelete